Our graveyard began with the founding of Fredericksburg in 1728 when lots were designated for a graveyard. The site would also include St. George’s Church and to the north land for a market and government.
St. George’s is the oldest graveyard in the town with 116 numbered graves, most of them are from the first half of the 19th century. The Vestry closed the graveyard in the early 1930’s since it was considered full but in 2008, the church began to bury cremains on the north side opposite Faulkner Hall when a plans for a memorial garden fell through.
How to get the most of the graveyard?
“Click” the “hamburger” icon above and left to begin the tour.
There are two paths: SUMMARY, a 5 minute tour of the “best” 5 graves and COMPLETE which has all our our content.
Another way to tour the graveyard is to use our “quick links.”
2. Photos – Galleries for each season
4. Map and Table combined – When the page is loaded, the top half is a map and the bottom pane a picture of each grave and and a search input which can be filled with number (based on the map) or a name. Both are separate panes that scroll independently.
5. Find Graves – Find graves by many criteria (ages, occupation, etc.)
On mobile screens, you can scroll the map, horizontally to the right, holding the mouse on the screen and moving right or left to go back.